Your Appeal Is Your Last Best Chance To Right A Wrong

Photo of Scott M. Davidson

How To Appeal A Federal Tax Conviction

If you have just been convicted of a tax-related federal crime, you know the stakes are high. You have one last chance to get the results you need and avoid fines and prison time. It is important to make sure you work with an experienced attorney who has handled complex federal criminal appeals successfully. There is too much at stake to trust your case to an inexperienced lawyer.

The Law Office Of Scott M. Davidson helps clients appeal federal convictions, including tax-related crime convictions. For more than two decades, I have been helping clients in Albuquerque and throughout the surrounding New Mexico areas in federal criminal appeals. If you have been convicted of a tax-related federal crime, I will look at your case to help you determine whether you have solid grounds for an appeal. If you do, I will fight to have your conviction reversed.

Appealing A Range Of Tax-Related Convictions

I handle appeals for clients who have been convicted of tax-related criminal charges that include:

  • False information on a tax return: One of the most common tax crimes involves giving incorrect information on a tax return. However, these charges can be complicated by the difficulty of proving that the misleading information was provided willfully rather than by accident. Some appeals for this crime can be overturned by showing insufficient evidence about the willfulness of the crime.
  • Failure to pay taxes: Failing to make a return or to pay taxes when required to do so by federal law is a serious offense. These cases are more challenging on appeal in most instances. Issues like pretrial errors, errors in the trial or ineffective assistance of counsel are common ways to get a conviction for tax evasion overturned.
  • Organized crime and racketeering: It is not uncommon for tax charges to be part of greater charges under RICO (The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) laws.

A conviction for a tax-related crime can be appealed on a few important grounds. Insufficient evidence, errors in the pretrial or trial proceedings, and ineffective assistance of counsel are among the most common examples.  If there is a way to get you an appeal and get your charges reversed, I will find it.

Contact An Experienced Attorney Today

If you think your conviction was a result of an error from the court or your attorney, talk with me right away so we can get your appeal started. Call 505-420-5365 or email me right away to learn more.